Dr Lesley Pender
Director of MBA Programmes
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: (0)191 208 1687
My background is in marketing. I have worked in the hotel and publishing sectors and as a Management Consultant. My consultancy experience ranges from advising small retailer outlets on their strategy to preparing national tourism strategies.
I previously worked at both Northumbria University and Strathclyde University. I have also worked with a number of overseas universities and have provided guest lectures and delivered modules in Hong Kong and at the University of Lille. I have been involved in international student recruitment and the establishment of an international degree programme offered by three universities.
Roles and Responsibilities
Interim Director of MBA Programmes
Chair of Board of Examiners (MBA)
Previous Roles & Responsibilities
Admissions Tutor (Northumbria University)
Director of Honours Programmes (Strathclyde University)
Assistant Advisor of Studies (Strathclyde University)
Exam Board Chair (Strathclyde University)
Member of the School Management Team (Strathclyde University)
Member of Faculty Appeals Committee (Strathclyde)
My research interests are predominantly in the travel trade and transport areas.
My PhD research examined the use of network strategies in the internationalisation of the airline industry.
I referee for highly rated international journals.
I have a developing interest in regional innovation strategies.
Current teaching includes:
NBS8236 Customer Relationship Management
NBS8026 Strategic Management
Previous teaching includes:
Strategic Marketing, International Marketing, Airline Management, Research Methods, Relationship Marketing, Travel Trade and Transport, Marketing Research.
- Pender LJ. European Aviation: The Emergence Of Franchised Airline Operations. Tourism Management 1999, 20(5), 565-574.
- Pender LJ. Marketing Management For Travel And Tourism. Cheltenham: Nelson Thornes Ltd, 1999.
- Pender LJ. Marketing Management for Travel and Tourism. Thompson, 1999.
- Pender LJ. Travel Trade and Transport Franchising. In: Lashley, C. & Morrisson, A, ed. Franchising: A Service Sector Focus. Butterworth Heinemann, 1999.
- Pender LJ. Travel Trade and Transport: An Introduction. Thompson, 2001.
- Pender LJ, Sharpley R. Tourism Management. 2004.
- Pender LJ, Baum TG. Have the frills really left the European Airline Industry?. The International Journal of Tourism Research 2000.
- Pender LJ, Evans N, Robinson M. Accommodation. In: Callaghan, P, ed. Travel and Tourism. Business Education Publishers Ltd, 1994. In Preparation.
- France L, Pender LJ. Environmental Disasters and Hotel Management. In: Punjabi University, ed. Strategic Management for Tourism. 1994. In Preparation.