Dr Ewan Mackenzie
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 1693
- Address: Newcastle University Business School
Floor 8, Room 8.21
5 Barrack Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
I am a researcher in the sociology of work and employment. Currently I am working as a Research Associate investigating the organisation and provision of health and social care in NHS England. In 2016/17 I was also a lead researcher for an AHRC project investigating the nature of cultural work in the North East of England. I am an ethnographer with a specific interest in the history and politics of work and organisation in public sectors. My PhD dissertation entitled ‘Governmentality in a UK local authority’ developed neo-Foucauldian theory to facilitate a critical approach to work and organisation in local government in the era of austerity. My work aims to widen the possibilities for addressing historical variants of studies of governmentality on the one hand, and the ways in which individuals and groups act, resist and respond to prevailing rationalities in their ‘everyday’ life and work on the other.
PhD (Pass with no corrections)
British Sociological Association
European Group for Organizational Studies
Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
2017-2018 British Sociological Association Early Career Forum regional event fund
2011-2015 Newcastle University scholarship to undertake PhD studentship
2012: Outstanding paper award for the Making Projects Critical Conference, Manchester University (full bursary)
2008-2009 Masters student of the year, Newcastle University
2008-2009 Research Scholarship to undertake Masters at Newcastle University
Work (paid and non-paid)
Labour Process Theory
The Ethics of Work and Organisation in Public Sectors
Contemporary Continental Theory
- Mackenzie E. Towards governmentality ‘on the ground’: Addressing the dangers of ‘neo-liberal’ subjectivity through project organizing in UK local government. In: APROS/EGOS. 2015, UTS, Sydney, Australia.
- Mackenzie E. Governmentality in a UK local authority. Newcastle University, 2015. Available at: http://ethos.bl.uk/OrderDetails.do?did=1&uin=uk.bl.ethos.686844.
- Mackenzie E. Neoliberal economisation of selves at work: Producing the truth of project management 'expertise' in the UK public sector. In: 30th European Group for Organizational Studies (EGOS) Colloquium. 2014, Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
- Mackenzie E. Identity work in a UK public sector organisation in times of 'austerity'. In: British Sociological Association Annual Conference: 'Sociology in an Age of Austerity'. 2012, Leeds University, UK.
- Mackenzie E. Symbolic boundaries in a UK public sector organisation in times of 'austerity'. In: Making Projects Critical Conference. 2012, Manchester University, UK.