Dr Sunil Bhopal
Academic Clinical Fellow
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
I am currently in my third year as an Academic Clinical Fellow in Paediatrics, working in child health epidemiology and international child health within the Institute of Health and Society. I am interested in the first 'thousand days' (from conception) for children and the impact of that period on later child and adulthood health and disease. I am particularly interested in the role of the social determinants of health, particularly early life stress.
MRCPCH Membership of the Royal College of Paediatrics 2014
MBChB University of Leeds 2010
BSc(Hons) International Health. University of Leeds 2008
MClinRes Masters in Clinical Research (Ongoing. Expected completion February 2015)
I am particularly interested in early life stress, child development and nutrition focussing on the first 1000 days (from conception).
I studied for the intercalated BSc in International Health at the Nuffield Centre for International Health and Development, University of Leeds.
I have since carried out research in rural India (Sindhudurg district) and rural Sierra Leone (Kambia district with the Kambia Appeal. In 2012 I worked in international child health with SEARCH in Gadchiroli, India.
- Bhopal S, Halpin H, Gerein N. Emergency Obstetric Referral in Rural Sierra Leone: What Can Motorbike Ambulances Contribute? A Mixed-Methods Study. Maternal and Child Health Journal 2013, 17(6), 1038-1043.
- Bhopal SS, Mann KD, Pearce MS. Registration of cancer in girls remains lower than expected in countries with low/middle incomes and low female education rates. British Journal of Cancer 2012, 107(1), 183-188.
- Theodoratou E, Zhang JSF, Kolcic I, Davis AM, Bhopal S, Nair H, Chan KY, Liu L, Johnson H, Rudan I, Campbell H. Estimating Pneumonia Deaths of Post-Neonatal Children in Countries of Low or No Death Certification in 2008. PLoS One 2011, 6(9), e25095.
- Bhopal S, Mann K, Pearce M. Rates of childhood cancer in females remain lower than expected in developing countries. Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health 2011, 65(s1), A325.
- Bhopal S, Mann KD, Embleton N, Korada M, Cheetham TD, Pearce MS. The Influence of Early Growth on Bone Mineral Density at Age 9-14 Years in Children Born Preterm. In: Journal of Developmental Origins of Health and Disease: 7th World Congress on Developmental Origins of Health and Disease. 2011, Portland, Oregon, USA: Cambridge University Press.
- Bhopal S, Chan J, Ellis O, Graham S, Halpin S, Lawrence T, Laws J, Howes A. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs prescribing in chronic kidney disease: an observational study. Primary Health Care Research & Development 2010, 11(3), 280-284.
- Theodoratou E, Johnson S, Jhass A, Madhi SA, Clark A, Boschi-Pinto C, Bhopal S, Rudan I, Campbell H. The effect of Haemophilus influenzae type b and pneumococcal conjugate vaccines on childhood pneumonia incidence, severe morbidity and mortality. International Journal of Epidemiology 2010, 39(s1), i172-i185.