Our creative writing staff includes:
- poets Tara Bergin, W.N. Herbert, Sean O'Brien and Jake Polley
- prose and fiction writers Ann Coburn, William Fiennes, Lars Iyer and Jackie Kay
- the film maker Tina Gharavi
- playwrights Zoe Cooper and Margaret Wilkinson
We offer a combined undergraduate degree in English Literature and Creative Writing, with a strong creative writing component in all three years.
We also offer postgraduate courses:
- Creative Writing MA (full or part time)
- Writing Poetry MA (part time)
- research supervision (MPhil, PhD)
- Creative Writing Postgraduate Certificate (full time)
Through the Newcastle Centre for the Literary Arts we provide a portfolio of short courses open to our students and the public.
Collaborations and events
Our teaching and research is closely linked to the Newcastle Centre for the Literary Arts (NCLA) programme. This helps our students keep in regular contact with leading creative practitioners. It increases their awareness of creative, social and cultural issues that both influence them and are influenced and shaped by them.
Students are also invited to attend seminars and workshops with visiting writers from our events programme. In the past these have included:
- Paul Muldoon
- Marilynne Robinson
- Carolyn Forché
- Nuruddin Farah
- Andrea Levy
Frequent public readings by staff, visiting artists and postgraduates are held by the School. We jointly sponsor, with Bloodaxe Books, the Newcastle/Bloodaxe Poetry Lectures.
We have excellent resources for creative writing, including the Bloodaxe Poetry Archives and the collection of multi award-winning poet Barry MacSweeney.
We also retain poetry and audio files from many of our events.