Dr Raffaele Filieri
Senior Lecturer in Marketing
- Address: dr. Raffaele Filieri
5 Barrack Road
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 1705
Dr. Raffaele Filieri is a Senior Lecturer in Marketing and member of the Service Research Group and KITE at Newcastle University. Prior to joining this position, Raffaele has worked as a Senior Lecturer in Marketing at Northumbria University. dr. Filieri has also covered positions at KEDGE Business School, France; 'Kemmy Business School', University of Limerick, Ireland; 'La Sapienza' Università di Roma and Università del Salento in Italy. Raffaele owns a PhD in Business Engineering (Complexity Science) from Universita' Roma Tre.
dr. Filieri has work experience in the private sector, where he has worked as instructor, consultant and business analyst for SMEs (e.g. Tharsus) and multinational corporations (e.g. Merck, Fiat Auto).
Raffaele’s main research interests include: electronic word of mouth; social media marketing; e-tourism; strategic marketing/management; knowledge management; technology adoption and continuance intention; and online consumer co-creation (see the research page for more details).
Dr. Filieri’s actual publications include academic articles in peer reviewed journals such as: Annals of Tourism Research; Tourism Management; Journal of Travel Research; Journal of Business Research; Industrial Marketing Management; Computers in Human Behavior; Information, Technology & People; Expert Systems: The Journal of Knowledge Engineering; Journal of Knowledge Management; International Journal of Quality & Reliability Management; Marketing Intelligence & Planning; International Journal of Agile Systems and Management; Journal of Business Strategy; Journal of Direct, Data and Digital Marketing Practice. Google scholar citations available by clicking here.
Raffaele sits in the editorial board of Journal of Travel Research (4* ABS, 2016 Impact Factor: 4.564; 2016 Ranking: 2/45 in Hospitality, Leisure, Sport & Tourism) and the International Journal of Physical Distribution &Logistics Management (2* ABS, 2016 Impact Factor: 2.577*; 9/82 in the ‘transportation’ category, 21/161 in the ‘management of technology and innovation’ category) and has received several awards for his research in social media (best paper award in the Consumer Research Track at Academy of Marketing 2014 in Bournemouth (Shilling in online reviews: An exploratory study on consumer attitude and behaviour with promotional reviews); best conference paper award (overall) at the Academy of Marketing Conference in Southampton (Understanding consumers adoption of e-WOM through information quality and product ranking).
Raffaele has co-authored a book for Palgrave Macmillan with dr. Bidit Dey and dr. Karim Sorour: ICTs in Developing Countries: Research, Practices and Policy Implications, and also published book chapters (e.g. Outsourcing and Offshoring of Business Activities: Determinants, Implications and Challenges, Cambridge University Press), and has presented several papers in peer reviewed conferences (e.g., Emac, Academy of Marketing, Marketing Science).
His paper “e-WOM and accommodation: An analysis of the factors that influence travelers’ adoption of information from online reviews”, published in the Journal of Travel Research in 2014 has been the most read/downloaded article from March 2015 to February, 2016.
dr. Filieri supervises PhD candidates in the area mentioned below and with a particular interest in digital and social media marketing, e-commerce, technology adoption and continuance intention.
If you are planning to apply for a PhD at Newcastle University Business School, please contact me first at:
RESEARCH INTERESTS AND APPROACH
dr. Filieri is a versatile researcher and his research crosses disparate disciplines such as marketing, management, tourism, organization studies, innovation, and information systems.
Raffaele’s main research interests include:
· Digital & Social Media Marketing (electronic word of mouth, online consumer reviews, user-generated content, word of mouth, consumer opinions, negative word of mouth, website quality, website usability, online trust, reviews manipulation, website loyalty, consumer behaviour in online settings, Facebook, TripAdvisor, Airbnb...);
· e-Commerce (acceptance, barriers, enablers...);
· e-Tourism (travel and tourism reviews, travel blogs, online booking, electronic ticketing, airlines, hotels, accommodation, destinations, Tripadvisor, Booking...);
· (New) Technology Adoption and Continuance Intention in developed and developing countries;
· Social Capital Theory and its application in business (structural social capital, network size, network closure, network density, cohesiveness, structural holes, in-betweenness centrality, brokering ties, bridging ties, social networks, relational social capital, cognitive social capital);
· Knowledge Management (Knowledge Sharing/Transfer, Inter-organizational knowledge flows; Knowledge reuse, knowledge retrieval, knowledge management systems);
· Innovation (online consumer value co-creation).
Industries I have experience:
· Travel & Tourism;
· Pharmaceutical & healthcare;
· Digital Start-Up.
I have 8 years teaching experience in four different countries (UK, France, Italy, Republic of Ireland). I hold a PG Certificate in Higher Education Practice (PG Cert. HEP) (Learning, Teaching and the Student Experience and 'Developing Research and Innovation) and I am Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. To see some of my students' feedback please visit my LinkedIn profile by clicking here.
- International Brand Management (Master Level)
- Strategic Marketing (UG level)
- Quantitative Research Methods (PhD level)
At Kedge Business School, Bordeaux and Marseille campus, France (2015, 2016, 2017)
- Digital Marketing (Master Level)
- International Brand Management
At Newcastle Business School, Northumbria University, UK (2011-2016)
- Marketing Communications,
- Global Marketing Communications,
- Consumer Behaviour,
- Strategic Marketing,
- Business Processes and Systems,
- Business Performance Management,
- Advertising Management,
- Travel and Tourism modules.
At Kemmy Business School, Department of Marketing & Management, University of Limerick, Ireland (2009-2011)
- Entrepreneurship & Innovation,
- Marketing Principles,
- Marketing Management,
- Marketing Intelligence,
- Applied Marketing,
- Marketing Communications,
- Consumption and Consumer Behaviour
At La Sapienza Università di Roma, Italy (2005-2009)
- Tourism Marketing,
- Sociology and Marketing of territories,
- Sustainable Marketing and Environmental Communication
- Filieri R, Chen W, Dey B. The importance of enhancing, maintaining and saving face in smartphone repurchase intentions of Chinese early adopters: an exploratory study. Information Technology & People 2017, 30(3), 629-652.
- Lin Z, Chen Y, Filieri R. Resident-tourist value co-creation: The role of residents' perceived tourism impacts and life satisfaction. Tourism Management 2017, 61, 436-442.
- Filieri R, Lin Z. The role of aesthetic, cultural, utilitarian and branding factors in young Chinese consumers' repurchase intention of smartphone brands. Computers in Human Behavior 2017, 67, 139–150.
- Filieri R, McLeay F, Tsui T. Antecedents of Travellers’ Satisfaction and Purchase Intention from Social Commerce Websites. In: Schegg, R; Stangl, B, ed. Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism 2017. Switzerland: Springer International Publishing, 2017, pp.517-528.
- Filieri R. What makes an online consumer review trustworthy?. Annals of Tourism Research 2016, 58, 46–64.
- Filieri R, Willison R. Antecedents of Knowledge Sourcing and Reuse from a Knowledge Repository in the Virtual Product Prototyping: The Role of Knowledge and System Quality Dimensions. Knowledge and Process Management 2016, 23(2), 147-160.
- Dey BL, Sorour K, Filieri R. ICTs in Developing Countries: Research, Practices and Policy Implications. Palgrave Macmillan, 2016.
- Filieri R. What makes online reviews helpful? A diagnosticity-adoption framework to explain informational and normative influences in e-WOM. Journal of Business Research 2015, 68(6), 1261–1270.
- Lin Z, Filieri R. Airline passengers’ continuance intention towards online check-in services: The role of personal innovativeness and subjective knowledge. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review 2015, 81, 158-168.
- Filieri R, Alguezaui S, McLeay F. Why do travelers trust TripAdvisor? Antecedents of trust towards consumer-generated media and its influence on recommendation adoption and word of mouth. Tourism Management 2015, 51, 174-185.
- Filieri R, Alguezaui S. Knowledge sourcing and knowledge reuse in the virtual product prototyping: an exploratory study in a large automotive supplier of R&D. Expert Systems 2015, 32(6), 637-651.
- Filieri R. From market-driving to market-driven: An analysis of Benetton’s strategy change and its implications for long-term performance. Marketing Intelligence & Planning 2015, 33(3), 238-257.
- Ali F, Dey BL, Filieri R. An assessment of service quality and resulting customer satisfaction in Pakistan International Airlines: Findings from foreigners and overseas Pakistani customers. International Journal of Quality & Reliability Management 2015, 32(5), 486-502.
- Filieri R, McNally RC, O'Dwyer M, O'Malley L. Structural social capital evolution and knowledge transfer: Evidence from an Irish pharmaceutical network. Industrial Marketing Management 2014, 43(3), 429–440.
- Filieri R, McLeay F. E-WOM and Accommodation: An Analysis of the Factors That Influence Travelers’ Adoption of Information from Online Reviews. Journal of Travel Research 2014, 53(1), 44-57.
- Dancer H, Filieri R, Grundy D. eWOM in online customer support communities: Key variables in information quality and source credibility. Journal of Direct, Data and Digital Marketing Practice 2014, 15(4), 290–305.
- Filieri R, Alguezaui S. Structural social capital and innovation. Is knowledge transfer the missing link?. Journal of Knowledge Management 2014, 18(4), 728-757.
- Alguezaui S, Filieri R. A knowledge-based view of the extending enterprise for enhancing a collaborative innovation advantage. International Journal of Agile Systems and Management 2014, 7(2), 116–131.
- Filieri R. Consumer co-creation and new product development: a case study in the food industry. Marketing Intelligence & Planning 2013, 31(1), 40-53.
- Filieri R, Alguezaui S. Extending the enterprise for improved innovation. Journal of Business Strategy 2012, 33(3), 40 - 47.
- Alguezaui S, Filieri R. Innovation Across Tech-Firm’s Boundaries: a Knowledge-Based View. In: Contractor, F., Kumar, V., Pedersen, T., and Kundu, S, ed. Outsourcing and Offshoring of Business Activities: Determinants, Implications and Challenges. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2011, pp.210-238.
- Alguezaui S, Filieri R. Investigating the role of social capital in innovation: sparse versus dense network. Journal of Knowledge Management 2010, 14(6), 891 - 909.
- Alguezaui S, Filieri R. Social capital, Knowledge and Technological Innovation. In: P. López Sáez, G. M. de Castro, J. E. Navas López and M. Delgado Verde, ed. Intellectual Capital and Technological Innovation: Knowledge-Based Theory and Practice. 2010, pp.271-296.
- Filieri R. Verso la seconda generazione del web nel turismo. Turistica 2007, 3(Luglio-Settembre 2007).
- Filieri R, McLeay F, Tsui B. Consumer perceptions of online reviews helpfulness. In: EMAC 2016. 2016, Oslo, Norway.
- Alguezaui S, Filieri R, McLeay F. Outsourcing new products development in conditions of technological uncertainty: partner selection criteria and project implementation mechanisms. In: British Academy of Management Conference (BAM2016). 2016, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: British Academy of Management.
- Filieri R, McLeay F, Tsui B. Consumer reviews on e-retailer website: antecedents of information diagnosticity and purchase intentions. In: ANZAM (Australia New Zealand Academy of Management Conference). 2015, Queenstown New Zealand: ANZAM.
- Filieri R, Woodruffe-Burton H. Understanding Chinese consumers’ choice of smartphone brands: an exploratory study. In: Academy of Marketing Conference. 2015, Limerick, Ireland.
- Filieri R, McLeay F. From Contract Manufacturing to Original Equipment Design and Manufacturing: A Case Study of Tharsus. In: British Academy of Management Conference. 2014, Belfast.
- Filieri R. Shilling in online reviews: An exploratory study on consumer attitude and behaviour with promotional reviews. In: Academy of Marketing Conference 2014. 2014, Bournemouth, UK.
- Filieri R, Alguezaui S. Antecedents and consequences of knowledge retrieval and reuse: evidences from Fiat Auto group. In: European Academy of Management (EURAM 2013). 2013, Istanbul, 26-29 June 2013.
- Filieri R, McLeay F. Online reviews…Why do consumer adopt them?. In: Academy of Marketing Conference. 2013, University of South Wales, 8-11 July 2013.
- Filieri R. RetailEyes.co.uk [Case Study]. In: Fahy, J., and Jobber, D, ed. Foundations of Marketing. London: McGraw- Hill, 2012.
- Filieri R, Alguezaui S. The how and why of consumers’ co-creation: evidence from the Fiat 500 case study. In: Academy of Marketing Conference. 2012, 2-5 July, University of Southampton, Southampton Management School.
- Filieri R. Understanding consumers adoption of e-wom through information quality and product ranking. In: Academy of Marketing Conference. 2012, 2-5 July, University of Southampton Management School.
- Caramis A, Filieri R. Il riciclo e le best practices. Il ruolo della comunicazione nella raccolta differenziata e gestione del ciclo dei rifiuti. In: Eurispes, ed. 23 Rapporto Italia, Eurispes. Roma: Eurispes, 2011.
- Filieri R. How Young Chinese Consumers Choose among Different Smartphone Brands: The Importance of Socio-cultural and Marketing Factors. In: Dey, B; Sorour, K; Filieri, R, ed. ICTs in Developing Countries: Research, Practices and Policy Implications. Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillan, 2016, pp.59-73.
- McNally R, Filieri R, Healy B, O'Dwyer M, O'Malley L. Social Capital and the Evolution of Successful Inter-organisational Networks. In: 2012 INFORMS Marketing Science Conference. 2012, Boston University.
- Chatzopoulou E, Filieri R. Building and communicating fashion brands of sustainable ethnic identity. In: International Conference on Marketing and Tourism (ICM18). 2018, New York, U.S.A. In Press.