Dr Michael Price
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 1737
- Address: Newcastle University Business School
5 Barrack Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
I joined Newcastle University Business School in 2012, initially as a Teaching Assistant. I was subsequently awarded a PhD in 2016, before taking up a position as a Teaching Fellow at NUBS. More recently, I was appointed to a postdoctoral role at the Centre for Research on Entrepreneurship, Philanthropy and Wealth (REWP), which is led by Professor Charles Harvey.
- PhD, University of Newcastle.
- PG Cert (Academic Practice), University of Newcastle.
- PG Cert (Research Training), University of Newcastle.
- MBA, (with Distinction) University of Newcastle.
- MA, University of Nottingham.
- BSc, (Hons) University of Hull.
- British Academy of Management
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- French (Fluent - B2 CEFR)
My research interests are broadly focused on business strategy and corporate governance. I have a particular predilection for historical analysis. My doctoral research was a mixed methods, micro-historical study, of a significant event in business history. However, I also have a nascent interest in philanthropy, particularly in the context of organisations.
I am currently working on a project which is examining the role of philanthropic giving in north east England, from both historical and contemporary perspectives.
I am affiliated with the Centre for Research on Entrepreneurship, Wealth and Philanthropy (REWP) (http://www.ncl.ac.uk/rewp/) and I am also a member of the Strategy, Organisation and Society (SOS) research group (http://www.ncl.ac.uk/nubs/research/centres/sos/) at NUBS.
I am member of the editorial board of the Journal of Business and Economics (ISSN: 2075-6909). I have written for "The Conversation" on the topic of executive pay, which can be read here.
This academic year [17/18] I am supervising research projects on:
- BA Business Management (undergraduate)
- MSc International Business Management (postgraduate)
I am interested in receiving enquiries from students with a strong academic background who wish to undertake doctoral study in my areas of interest.
I am currently supervising one doctoral student at NUBS. The working title for the research is; Entrepreneurial Philanthropy and Economic Development in Pakistan.
Prior to joining NUBS in 2012, I spent almost a decade working in the travel sector, principally overseas. My final role before entering academia, was as a departmental head for a large tour operator.
NBS8520: MBA dissertation (research methods)
2012 - 2017 Teaching
I have lectured on a number of programmes both at undergraduate and postgraduate level at Newcastle University. In addition to teaching at NUBS, I have also taught on the HASS faculty doctoral training programme and the DBA at NUBS.
I am a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and hold a Postgraduate Certificate in Advanced Studies in Academic Practice (CASAP).
- Price M, Harvey C, Maclean M, Campbell D. From Cadbury to Kay: Discourse, intertextuality and the evolution of UK corporate governance . Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal 2017. In Press.
- Price M. Elite networks and the development of corporate governance regulation. In: British Academy of Management Conference 2016. 2016, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: British Academy of Management.
- Price M. From Cadbury to Kay: commuted language in the discourse of corporate governance regulation, 1992 - 2012. In: British Academy of Management Conference 2015. 2015, Portsmouth: British Academy of Management.
- Price M. The Greenbury Provisions: The unintended consequences of transparent remuneration. In: Insight Public Lecture Series. 2015, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Newcastle University.
- Price M. Book Review of The Orderly Entrepreneur, Youth Education, and Governance in Rwanda, by Catherine A Honeyman. Journal of School Choice 2017, ePub ahead of print.