Dr Hanna Bahemia
Lecturer in Technology and Innovation Management
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: + 44(0)1912081588
- Address: Newcastle University Business School
Floor 8, Office no.8.21
5 Barrack Road
Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 4SE
Hanna studied Management Sciences at the University of Warwick (UK). She holds an MSc in Operations Management and a PhD in Innovation Management from the University of Manchester (UK). She has a wide international experience in industry and joined the University Of Newcastle in December 2012 after completing her PhD. She is a visiting scholar at the University of Hasselt, Belgium and Konstanz University, Germany.
Her previous industry experience includes a broad range of operations such as
international procurement activities, implementation of ERP
system as well as new products and business development in various industries.
She is currently supervising PhD and Masters level students in the areas of innovation, Industry 4.0, the use of AI for value creation in the automotive industry, and smart cities.
She welcomes enquiries from potential PhD students who have an interest in innovation management, Industry 4.0, and business model innovation, particularly platform business models.
Memberships: Member of the Druid Society
Member of the Academy of Management
Languages: Bilingual in French and English
Hanna's research links the domain of strategic management, technology and innovation management and manufacturing strategy with a particular focus on open innovation, business model innovation, and Industry 4.0. She is currently collaborating with several multinational companies in the UK and Europe and she is conducting multiple case studies on the challenges of implementing open innovation in the automotive, home appliances and publishing industries. She is exploring how conscious adopters of open innovation are re-designing the internal structures, and practices of the firm to support the strategy.
Hanna has also diversifed the breadth of her research interests to new areas such as Industry 4.0 and Smart Cities which are at the centre of the Industrial Strategy set by the government in the UK. In one of her recent inter-disciplinary research projects that is at the interface of engineering and management, she is exploring how manufacturing firms can harness the full potential of Industry 4.0 in both their R&D activities and manufacturing processes to optimise not only productivity but the overall innovation performance including new products/services and business model innovation. The project will also explore how firms are using artificial intelligence to create new forms of value for user-centric technologies in their business models.
Undergraduate Teaching (Final Year)
Management of Creativity, Design and Innovation.
The module is a blend of theories from the field of social psychology, neuroscience and innovation management. There is a strong connection with the research that Hanna is conducting in the areas of open innovation and business models in various industries.
New Business Development (MBA Level).
The module aims at developing the capabilities of MBA students to transform an idea into a viable new business venture. Drawn from her current research and previous work experience, Hanna coaches students as nascent entrepreneurs to develop a new business venture through innovative teaching and learning practice.
Open Innovation and Clusters of Innovation (PG Level)
The module focuses on open innovation and global clusters of innovation.
Management of Creativity, Design and Innovation
New Business Development
Open Innovation and Clusters of Innovation
- Bahemia H, Squire B, Cousins P. A multi-dimensional approach for managing open innovation in NPD. International Journal of Operations and Production Management 2017, 37(10), 1366-1385.
- Rub J, Bahemia H, Schleyer K. An examination of barriers to business model innovation. In: International Conference on Engineering, Technology and Innovation, Portugal. 2017, Madeira, Portugal.
- Bahemia H, Sillince J. Timing of openness in a radical innovation project: a configuration approach. Submitted. 2018. Submitted.
- Bahemia H, Squire B, Roerich J, Cousins P. The role of inter-firm trust and contract in open innovation projects. 2018. In Preparation.
- Bahemia H, Sillince J. Theoretical development of open innovation at the project level. 2017. Submitted.
- Alarefi M, Bahemia H, Ciesielska M. The antecedents and outcomes of inbound open innovation in manufacturing firms in the UK. In: 3rd Annual World Open Innovation Conference (WOIC 2016). 2016, Barcelona, Spain: HAAS School of Business, UC Berkeley.
- Shahwan R, Bahemia H, Xinming H. Novel Business Models: An Empirical Study of Antecedents and Consequences in Manufacturing and Services Firms in the UK. 2018. In Preparation.
- Alarefi M, Bahemia H, Ciesielska M. An examination of the antecedents and outcomes of inbound open innovation in manufacturing firms in the UK. 2018. In Preparation.
- Bahemia H. Implementation of an open innovation strategy for a radical innovation project at Jaguar. In: 74th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management AOM. 2014, Philadelphia, PA, USA: Academy of Management.
- Bahemia H, Squire B, Cousins P. Open innovation in new product development projects: a contingency approach. In: 73rd Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management. 2013, Lake Buena Vista, Florida. In Press.
- Bahemia H, Squire B. A conceptual model of open innovation for new product development projects: towards a contingency theory. In: Tidd, J, ed. Open innovation research, management and practice. Imperial College Press, 2013, pp.129-158.
- Bahemia H, Squire B. Managing Open Innovation in New Product Development Projects. In: Alexander, B., Tidd, J, ed. Perspectives on Supplier Innovation: Theories, Concepts and Empirical Insights on Open Innovation and the Integration of Suppliers. London: Imperial College Press, 2012, pp.95-128.
- Bahemia H, Squire B. Managing open innovation at a project level: a dynamic managerial capability perspective . In: Druid Conference, Copenhagen. 2011, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Bahemia H, Squire B. A contingent view of open innovation in new product development projects. . In: Druid Summer Conference London. 2010, Imperial College Business School, London.
- Bahemia H, Squire B. A contingent perspective of open innovation in new product development projects. International Journal Of Innovation Management 2010, 14(4), 603-627.
- Bahemia H, Squire B. Towards a contingent approach to open innovation: an examination of the appropriate degree of openness to supply chain partners. In: International Product Development Management Conference (IPDM), Twente, Netherlands. 2009.
- Bahemia H, Squire B. An Examination of How Knowledge Management Can Improve New Product Success rate in the Supply Chain of the Spanish Ceramic Tile Industry. In: World Congress on Ceramic Tiles (Cevisama). 2008, Valencia, Spain.