Dr Diemo Dietrich
Senior Lecturer in Financial Economics and Deputy Head of Economics Subject Group
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 1564
- Address: Room 7.21
Newcastle University Business School
5 Barrack Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
Financial stability, banking, bank regulation, and monetary policy.
Research networksLondon FIT network.
since 09/2012: Newcastle University Business School, Senior Lecturer in Financial Economics.
06/2008–08/2012: IWH-Halle Institute for Economic Research, Head of Research Group.
03/2006–05/2008: IWH-Halle Institute for Economic Research, Senior Economist.
03/2002–02/2006: IWH-Halle Institute for Economic Research, Economist.
03/1997–02/2002: Institute for Theoretical Economics, U Leipzig, Research and Teaching Assistant.
Diemo Dietrich invites PhD applications in the field of (Theory of) Financial Intermediation, with a particular focus on Financial Stability and Banking Regulation. Applicants with a strong background in economics and evidence of a good knowledge in economic theory, especially microeconomics, are particularly welcome.
Monika Bucher, MLU Halle-Wittenberg (June 2014), Stiftung Geld und Währung Doctoral Scholarship, initial placement after completion: Deutsche Bundesbank.
Daniel Heddergott, MLU Halle-Wittenberg (June 2016), Volkswagen Financial Services.
Jaffar Mohammed Ahmed Naser (October 2016), Al Baraka Banking Group.
William Berry, NUBS (third year), Peter and Norah Lomas PhD Scholarships in Economics.
Current administrative services
since 2014: Deputy Head, Economics group, NU Business School.
since 2014: Board of Studies Economics, Chair, NU Business School.
Oxford University Press, Palgrave (2), Journal of Financial Intermediation (3), Journal of Corporate Finance, Journal of Banking and Finance, Journal of Financial Stability (2), International Review of Financial Analysis, Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, Small Business Economics, Journal of Business Research, Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance (2), Journal of Macroeconomics, Manchester School, Japan and the World Economy (2), Empirica, Kredit \& Kapital, Jahrbücher für Nationalökonomie und Statistik.
Working papers and work in progress
Liquidity, Asset Prices and Financial Instability (with Monika Bucher, Bundesbank, and Mich Tvede, UEA Norwich), submitted.
Debt Constraints and Monetary Policy (with Jong Kook Shin, Newcastle U, and Mich Tvede, UEA Norwich), submitted.
Implications of Bank Regulation for Credit Intermediation and Bank Stability (with Monika Bucher, Bundesbank, and Achim Hauck, U Coventry), submitted.
Quantitative Easing and Financial Asset Prices (with William Berry and Robert Sollis, Newcastle U), in preparation.
Bank Capital Regulation, in progress (with Thomas Gehrig, U Vienna), in progress.
Liquidity Regulation, in progress (with Monika Bucher, Bundesbank, and Falko Fecht, Frankfurt School), in progress.
NU Business School Strategic Fund, 2016, £2,500 (pump-prime grant)
NU Business School Research Fund, 2016, £1,000 (research grant)
NU Faculty Research Development, 2014-15, £3,000 (research group funding)
Leverhulme Trust, 2013-15, PI £5,202 (research grant)
Oxford Analytica Ltd, 2013, £8,300 (consultancy)
gtz - Gesellschaft fuer Technische Zusammenarbeit, 2012, €1,200 (consultancy)
Fritz Thyssen Stiftung, 2011, PI, €2,480 (research grant)
Deutsche Bundesbank, 2010, €500 (conference grant)
gtz - Gesellschaft fuer Technische Zusammenarbeit, 2010, PI, €12,500 (research grant)
Stiftung Geld und Währung, 2009-13, PI, €1.5m (research and doctoral training programme)
Deutsche Bundesbank, 2008, €500 (conference grant)
Deutsche Bundesbank, 2007, €500 (conference grant)
Deutsche Bundesbank, 2005, €500 (conference grant)
Fritz Thyssen Stiftung, 2004, PI, €5,400 (research grant)
Deutsche Bundesbank, 2004, €500 (conference grant)
Stiftung Geld und Währung, 2003, PI, €2,500 (research grant: workshop)
Stiftung Geld und Währung, 2004, PI, €2,500 (research grant: workshop)
- ECO3006 Economics of Banking (module leader)
- ECO3007 Financial Stability (module leader, temporarily suspended)
- PhD: Financial Systems
- PGT: Microeconomics of Banking, Monetary Institutions, Advanced Monetary Economics, Economics of Exchange Rates, Inflation Theory, Money Credit & Banking, Financial Derivatives, Financial Theory and Corporate Policy
- UG:Corporate Finance, Monetary Economics, Eco101, Intermediate Macroeconomics, Intermediate Microeconomics
- UG: Banking and Financial Stability (requirement: ECO3006), Central Banking and Monetary Economics (requirement: ECO3010)
- PG: Central Banking and Monetary Economics (requirement: NBS8204)
Feedback, Guidance and Consultation Hours:
In general, students can make appointments for meetings on
- Wednesday, 10:00-12:00
- Thursday, 11:00-12:00
Meetings will take place in NUBS 7.21 unless otherwise agreed. Please contact Diemo by email at least 2 days in advance to book an appointment. In certain cases, other times can be mutually agreed.
- Dietrich D, Hauck A. Bank Capital Regulation, Loan Contracts, and Corporate Investment. Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance 2014, 54(2), 230-241.
- Bucher M, Dietrich D, Hauck A. Business Cycles, Bank Credit and Crises. Economics Letters 2013, 120(2), 229-231.
- Dietrich D, Vollmer U. Are Universal Banks Bad for Financial Stability? Germany During the World Financial Crisis. Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance 2012, 52(2), 123-134.
- Dietrich D, Hauck A. Government interventions in banking crises: effects of alternative schemes on bank lending and risk taking. Scottish Journal of Political Economy 2012, 59(2), 133-161.
- Dietrich D, Knedlik T, Lindner A. Central and Eastern European Countries in the Global Financial Crisis: A Typical Twin Crisis?. Post-Communist Economies 2011, 23(4), 415-432.
- Dietrich D, Jindra B. Corporate Governance in the Multinational Enterprise: A Financial Contracting Perspective. International Business Review 2010, 19(5), 446-456.
- Dietrich D, Vollmer U. International Banking and Liquidity Allocation: Cross-border Financial Services versus Multinational Banking. Journal of Financial Services Research 2010, 37(1), 45-69.
- Bebenroth R, Dietrich D, Vollmer U. Bank regulation and supervision in bank-dominated financial systems: a comparison between Japan and Germany. European Journal of Law and Economics 2009, 27(2), 177-209.
- Dietrich D. Asset Tangibility and Capital Allocation. Journal of Corporate Finance 2007, 13(5), 995-1007.
- Dietrich D, Vollmer U. Why do Banks Hold Capital in Excess of Regulatory Requirements? A Functional Approach. DBW-Die Betriebswirtschaft 2007, 67(2), 153-166.
- Dietrich D. Financing FDI Into Developing Economies and the International Transmission of Business Cycle Fluctuations. Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics 2004, 140(4), 449-481.
- Dietrich D. Monetary Policy Shocks and Heterogeneous Finance Decisions: A Model of Hidden Effort Choice and Financial Intermediation. German Economic Review 2003, 4(3), 365-388.