The conference aims to discuss the impact of different forms of uncertainty (eg economic, political) on the management of human resources (HR), as well as identify innovative HR practices and policy responses during turbulent times.
Date/Time: Wednesday 7 and Thursday 8 June 2017
Venue: Newcastle University London, 102 Middlesex Street, London, E1 7EZ
It is now almost a decade since the economic crisis of 2007/8, the most serious crisis to hit the global economy since the 1930s. However, the economic crisis and its aftermath has not featured prominently in mainstream HRM research and commentary.
Further ‘unforeseen events’ such as the Brexit vote, have not only brought political upheaval, but raised the spectre of further economic uncertainty. They have also created many practical concerns to employers, HR departments and workers. Emerging from this is the continuing political uncertainty regarding Scottish independence, with the prospect of a second ballot in the future.
In looking to advance discussions about the role of HRM in uncertain times, we invite submissions (conceptual, theoretical and empirical) that widen our understanding of the way in which HRM is impacted by ongoing uncertainty and turbulence in the economic and political environment, and which evaluate employer and policy responses.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Professor Katie Bailey, Sussex University
- Nita Clarke, Director, Involvement and Participation Association
- Professor David Guest, King’s College London
- Professor Stephen Procter, Newcastle University
Please submit an extended abstract of up to 2000 words via email to Dr Margarita Nyfoudi via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for submissions: Thursday 20 April 2017 at 17.00.
If you have any queries or would like to discuss a potential submission, please contact:
- Dr Alison Glaister: email@example.com
- Dr Stewart Johnstone: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr Margarita Nyfoudi: email@example.com
- Deadline for submissions: 20 April 2017, 17.00
- Notification of paper acceptance: 2 May 2017
- Deadline for registration for presenters: 22 May 2017
- Deadline for registration if attending only: 1 June 2017
Event fee & registration information
To be announced.