Dr Neil Burford
Reader in Architecture
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 0191 208 2415
- Address: School of Architecture Planning and Landscape
Newcastle upon Tyne
Neil Burford was appointed as Reader in Architecture to the School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape at Newcastle University in July 2017. He was previously a Senior Lecturer in Architecture in the School of Social Sciences at the University of Dundee and has held various practice positions as a project architect in James F. Stephen Architects, Glamis, RMJM Architects, Edinburgh. and practice director in Design intension Architects and 56 North Architects which he co-founded.
During the early part of his career he developed and led an interdisciplinary research group in Lightweight Structures in collaboration with industry, practice and academia. The Lightweight Structures Unit developed a number of innovative award winning building prototypes that received international awards and patents.
Neil's current work focuses on the design of sustainable communities and low-energy housing. His research develops new concepts in sustainable housing and the relationship between housing energy efficiency, regional climate and low embodied energy construction. His research is both practical and academic: as consultant, he was a finalist on the British Homes Awards, 2010 and the 100 Mile House, 2012. He has recently completed a major study for Scottish Government Assessing the effectiveness of Greenhouse Gas emission policies in Scottish Local Development Plans.
Over the past five years he has been leading a interdisciplinary consortia of academics and industry to design and build the UK’s first Zero-Emission Building Laboratory at the University Botanic Gardens, Dundee. This project addresses future EU regulatory changes towards 2030 (LC-nZEB’s), with energy balancing concepts centred around renewable energy generation, energy storage and intelligent building controls.
BSc Architecture, BArch Honours (1st Class), Ph.D, ARB, RIBA
Previous Academic Positions
Architecture and Planning, School of Social Sciences, University of Dundee
Architects Registration Board
Royal Institute of British Architects
Royal Institute of Architects in Scotland
- Burford N, Jones R, Reynolds S, Rodley R. Macro Micro Studio: A Prototype Energy Autonomous Laboratory. Sustainability 2017, 8(6), 500.
- Onyango V, Burford NK, Wright FE, Moyo D. The Effectiveness of Greenhouse Gas Emission Policies in Scottish Local Development Plans. Dundee: University of Dundee, 2016. IQ2-2015.
- Burford NK, Smith FW. Developing a New Military Shelter System: a technical study. Building Research & Information 1999, 27(2), p. 64-83.